Hosting my Rails app on Heroku was A Lot. But that story ended in success!
And yet, when I tried to log in using Google, no dice. My OAuth authentication that worked seamlessly prior to hosting on Heroku was now broken.
I won’t tell you exactly how long it took for me to address this issue, but I will approximate: 2 months, shame on me!
My ever-patient-and-generous friend Noah helped me get the ball rolling, and I owe this guide and this knowledge to him.
In the event you are in a similar spot and need to get your OAuth authentication working on your hosted app, Godspeed and may this help.
- You have built a Rails app with third-party authentication using OAuth.
- You’ve already gone through the initial setup of Google APIs and created your original OAuth Client IDs - which you used within your app.
- OAuth authentication is working when you host your app locally.
- Go here: Google APIs.
- In the left-side menu bar, click on Credentials.
- There you should see the header, OAuth 2.0 Client IDs.
- Create a new URI (and keep the existing).
- Save your updates.
- You’ll then need to set your google client id and secret, and you can do so within your terminal.
Run the following two commands:
heroku config:set GOOGLE_CLIENT_ID=yourclientid
heroku config:set GOOGLE_CLIENT_SECRET=yoursecret
It will set the id and secret and after each, restart the app.
- Thought that would do it! But, login via Google continued to fail, and this time I received a semi-helpful error message about cross-site request forgery (csrf).
To combat this, I added the following to both my Users Controller and Sessions Controller - both of which deal with login:
skip_before_action :protect_from_forgery, raise: false
And that did the trick.
If you’ve given this a try, or even if you’ve figured out how to do this already, sure would love to hear about your experience!
Get in touch any time.
Thanks so much for reading - until next time.